What: Learn-to-Row (LTR) weekends at BCR are designed to introduce a prospective rower to the sport of rowing and allow participants to determine whether they would like to further their skills in a BCR Novice program. During LTR, you will be both on the water and on the ergometer (rowing machine), learning boat handling and rowing technique, safety, and rowing terminology.
Each 4-Day LTR session focuses either on sweep rowing (4- and 8- person team boats in which a rower holds one oar) or sculling (1-,2-, or 4- person boats in which each rower holds two smaller oars). BCR coaches, volunteers, and fellow rowers will be on hand at each session to guide and answer questions. Upon completion of a LTR weekend, you will be eligible to enroll in the BCR Novice program.
When: Each LTR session is 4 days (two weekends/ Saturday and Sunday) from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM each day. Participants will row from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM, with a break from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM for lunch.
Select you session based on whether you would like to learn to sweep rowing or sculling.
LTR- Sweep Rowing
|Session 1: May 12 & 13 and May 19 & 20||Session 2: July 7 & 8 and July 14 & 15|
|Session 3: July 21 & 22 and August 4 & 5||Session 4: August 25 & 25 and September 1 & 2 (Labor Day Weekend)|
|Session 1: May 26 & 27 (Memorial Day Weekend) and June 9 & 10||Session 2: June 16 & 17 and June 23 & 24|
|Session 3: August 11 & 12 and August 18 & 19||Session 4: September 8 & 9 and September 15 & 16|
Scheduled sessions may be postponed or rescheduled in the event of bad weather. Every effort will be made to hold a session as long as it is safe. We row in rain (hey, it's a water sport!), but not in high ends, thunder, lightening, or fog. If a session is postponed, alternate dates will be offered.
Baltimore Community Rowing
3301 Waterview Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21230
What to Wear:
- Tight-fitting shorts or leggings (spandex is best) and a close-fitting top
- Loose or overly long clothing is not suitable for rowing and can cause injury if it gets caught in the equipment; if you choose to wear loose clothing to the boathouse, please layer your tighter-fitting layers underneath. Locker rooms are also available (please bring your own lock).
- Sneakers that you don't mind getting wet
- Layers for cool weather if appropriate
What to Bring:
- A large refillable water bottle
- Sunscreen (for reapplying)
- Hat or visor
- A nonperishable bag lunch and extra drink
- An hour break will be provided for a quick meal at noon each day
- Refrigeration for lunches is not available. Please pack nonperishable foods and/or an ice pack.
Fee: $200 per 4-day session
Register: Registration is available at Regatta Central .
Questions: Email email@example.com
I've learned to row! What next?!:
If you tried sweep and are curious about sculling - or vice versa - sign up for another LTR session.
Or if you have completed one 4-day LTR session and want to take your training to the next level, consider joining one of our Novice rowing sessions. Offered between June and November on Monday and Wednesday evenings, BCR has multiple Novice rowing sessions to choose from.